Join Drs. Jessica Byram and Kirsten Brown as they share the results of their recent collaboration examining the role of altmetrics, or alternative metrics, in academia. They will provide an introduction to altmetrics, which are a relatively new way to track engagement and activity related to scholarly works. Altmetrics will be compared to traditional metrics while discussing the strengths and limitations of both sources of research influence and impact. While much of the research in altmetrics focuses on evaluating the relationship between research outputs and academic impact, the value and use of altmetrics remain nebulous and inconsistent. This webinar will discuss how journal publishers may be one potential source of this confusion through inconsistencies in definitions and sources for computing altmetrics values. The webinar will conclude with recommendations for how faculty as potential end-users of altmetrics. By the end of this webinar, participants will have an understanding of what altmetrics are, how they differ from traditional metrics, and how they can be used by faculty as end-users to promote scholarly works.
This webinar is free and open access for both members and nonmembers.
Associate Professor, Kirsten Brown, George Washington University, Washington, DC
Assistant Professor, Jessica Byram, Indiana University, Indianapolis, IN
Jason Organ, Ph.D., Indiana University
How to Register
Note: by viewing this page, you are already on step 2 or 3
- Review the list of Upcoming Webinars
- Select the webinar you want to attend to view more details and to register
- Sign in – if you do not have an anatomy.org account, you will need to create one; for member assistance signing in, please contact us
- Click the registration button at the bottom of the page
- Your registration is not yet complete – scroll to the top of the page and click the Shopping Cart icon to check out
- Click Submit Order on the Shopping Cart page
- Your Order Confirmation page will display and you will receive an Order Confirmation email from [email protected] – if you do not receive an Order Confirmation email, your registration may not be complete, and you may not receive instructions for attending the webinar – please go back to step 5 or contact us
- You may visit the webinar details page any time to modify or cancel your registration
- We will email instructions for joining the webinar at least 24 hours prior to the scheduled webinar